About The Fullstack Engineer Role
What we’re looking for
If you’re someone who thrives in fast paced innovative environments, and has a passion for creating products, then the role of Full Stack Software Engineer at Dukka Inc. might be right for you. This is an innovative new product in the African B2B space. We are building something that does not quite exist in the African business landscape, and this will be an opportunity for you to put your stamp on the product that is being built.
We want engineers that think about the big picture, take ownership of delivery of the product, work well with others in a collaborative environment and take pride in their work. You will be responsible for building out primarily the backend of the Dukka platform, but expect to do some frontend work also, as we like expert generalists. You should also expect to perform some infrastructure work in AWS. You will be responsible for the uptime and responsiveness of any feature/product which you build.
The core product you will be working on is being built with Python/Django and AWS. We may be open to move to any better languages near term if we see the need for it for the core product and container technologies for runtime environments. We use Git for source code management, slack for communications, confluence for documentation, Range for daily check-ins, and JIRA for project and task management.
This role reports directly to the CTO.
- Ask smart questions, take risks and champion new ideas.
- Design and build the product
- Participate in architectural and design review discussions
- Collaborate with other engineers and the Product team to define clear deliverables and establish project milestones
- Take ownership of features from end to end by going through design, implementation, testing and maintenance phases
- Identify opportunities to improve existing code or architecture
- We take quality seriously and you should expect to be involved in well written code bases following common coding conventions and good software engineering practices
- Mentoring of junior developers.
Skills and Qualifications
- Proficient understanding of a backend language such as Python
- Experience with building web applications with modern MVC Frameworks such as Django, Flask, Rails, Laraval, etc
- Proficiency with Object Oriented Design
- Experience with building and working with RESTful APIs
- Experience with Database technologies such as Postgres, MySQL
- Experience with AWS will earn you more points
- Familiarity with software project planning and collaboration tools such as JIRA, Git
- Team leadership experience
- Proven track record of delivering high impact projects
- We’re a startup. You should be comfortable taking an imperfect feature specification, and driving it all the way to completion.
Why you will love to join Dukka :
- We’re a rocketship 🚀
- Paid time off
- Work tools
- Very flat team structure
- Competitive compensation
- We support paid parental leave
- You will have the opportunity to learn how the entire company operates
- Being part of a fun and energetic Dukka family that’s building the future we all want to live in
- And so much more!
What you might not love
- You will have to learn new things all the time
- Really fast-paced environment with a LOT of work to be done
- We're a small team, priorities will keep on changing, perks of a startup
Whilst it would be great for you to have a Bachelor's/Master’s degree from an accredited university, we place a higher value on significant work experience in the workforce to compensate where there is no qualification.