About the Engineering Manager Role
They are looking to hire an Engineering Manager who will lead a small group of engineers that are working on both their core platform and technology as well as new Africa-focused product initiatives. You will contribute to growing the team, fostering a strong engineering culture and jointly with others driving the product & technical vision for Branch.
As an engineering team, they value bottom-up innovation and decentralized decision-making: They believe the best ideas can come from anyone in the company, and they are working hard to create an environment where everyone feels empowered to propose solutions to the challenges they face.
What do you need to be considered successful?
As a company, they are passionate about their customers, fearless in the face of barriers, and driven by data. You will be responsible for the following:
- You will help build a culture of collaboration that embodies our values and helps us achieve our goals as a distributed team.
- Work with other stakeholders to recruit, grow, and empower a team of driven engineers who have high expectations around ownership, impact, and technical excellence
- Collaborating with your team, you will craft a thoughtful, long-term technical strategy that anticipates future needs while being pragmatic about what’s needed today.
- You will be a hands-on technical contributor and mentor for your team, one who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and do actual technical work when appropriate.
- You will work with other engineering managers and functional leads to set direction and ambitious goals for your team, Engineering, and Branch as a whole.
How Important are you to the bottom line?
As a Lead in their Engineering team, you will help the team achieve their goals through servant-style leadership and removing roadblocks. Similarly, you will help the team achieve the right balance between engineering excellence and shipping and iterating solutions quickly.
Biggest problem-solving duties on the job
Their technology team works closely with all other parts of their business, and you will be working closely with other stakeholders across the globe to help them achieve their goals.
What do you need to have done in your career?
- 2+ years of engineering management experience, preferably in an established technology firm or a product-focused high-growth startup.
- Experience handling performance reviews, and must have handled at least 1 performance review cycle independently.
- Significant experience (4+ years) as a software engineer, ideally across organizations, industries and technology stacks.
- A record of mentorship and helping others in their career growth.
- Experience and excitement for recruiting, combined with a thoughtful approach to team growth.
What do you stand to gain?
- Mission-driven, fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
- Competitive salary and equity package
- A collaborative and flat company culture
- Fully-paid Premium Plan medical coverage
- Generous vacation policy
- Generous child bonding leave policy
- Pension Benefit and Life Insurance
- Discretionary trips to our offices across the globe, with global travel medical insurance (when it’s safe to travel!)
- Flexible working hours
- Weekly team meals and social events (virtual for now!)