About the DevOps Engineer Role
Branch launched in Nigeria in early 2017 and has seen rapid adoption and growth. They are expanding their product portfolio as well as their user base in all their markets including Nigeria, and are more than ever dependent on reliable infrastructure to achieve their goals. They are looking for talented DevOps engineers to join them and be part of this journey.
As a company, they are passionate about their customers, fearless in the face of barriers, and driven by data. As an engineering team, they value bottom-up innovation and decentralized decision-making: They believe the best ideas can come from anyone in the company, and they are working hard to create an environment where everyone feels empowered to propose solutions to the challenges they face.
What do you need to be considered successful?
As part of their DevOps team, you will design, architect, build, and automate the infrastructure that hosts a variety of applications ranging from financial products to their Machine Learning workloads for all their markets. You will also be responsible for the following;
- Improve infra automation using modern tools.
- Optimize spending and improve elasticity on our infrastructure.
- Be responsible for continuously evaluating and implementing evolving best practices.
- Keep our systems and services secure by ensuring adherence to security best practices.
- Ensure availability with redundancies of all the critical components.
- Provide expert opinions for architecture and infrastructure decisions
How important are you to the bottomline?
This is an outcome based role and the bottom-line of your role is owning the process of building, testing and maintaining the infrastructure that allows for the speedy but efficient development and release of software.
The biggest problem solving duties on the job
As a subject matter expert, you will be expected to evangelize DevOps as a culture within the engineering organization. You will be responsible for innovating and employing best practices when it comes to deployment, database management, security, and performance.
What you need to have done in your career?
- 4+ years of experience in DevOps preferred
- Extensive exposure to at least one major cloud platform like AWS, GCP, or Azure with commonly used services.
- Hands-on experience with deployment and orchestration technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, and Terraform.
- Understand networking concepts and protocols, and the ability to build VPCs and traffic flows.
- Ability to take care of monitoring, alerting, logs, user access, certificate and keys management, etc.
- Know your way through various flavors of Unix and commonly used command-line utilities.
- Proficiency with at least one mainstream scripting language like Bash or Python as well as commonly used server software like PostgreSQL, Redis, etc.
- Being able to wear a DBA hat and tune PostgreSQL performance at query and storage engine level is a plus.
- Strong ability to quickly learn new technologies and keep up with the latest in DevOps.
- You are highly entrepreneurial. You take the initiative to solve problems before they arise. You’ve started and/or contributed to projects you’re passionate about.
- You are a great collaborator. You know that startups are a team sport. You listen to others, speak your mind, and ask the right questions
What do you stand to gain
- Mission-driven, fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
- Competitive salary and equity package
- A collaborative and flat company culture
- Fully paid life and health insurance benefit with Axa Mansard (Platinum plan)
- 28 days of paid vacation days, 30 days sick leave, bereavement leave, and periodic mental health days
- Fully paid parental leave - 6 months maternity leave and 3 months paternity leave
- Pension benefit
- Monthly WFH stipend alongside a one time home office set-up budget
- Annual professional development budget
- Discretionary trips to our offices across the globe, with global travel medical insurance (when it’s safe to travel!)
- Weekly team meals and social events (virtual for now!)
- Flexible working hours
- Where they work: Remote first, with the option to work in-person occasionally