About the Curator Role
Who you are?
The ideal candidate for this role should have a deep, non-partisan, understanding of Nigerian news and politics. They should feel comfortable fact-checking content related to politics, medical science or local news. They must also be capable of quickly and accurately identifying the best Twitter content across multiple verticals including News, Sports and Entertainment. In addition to curation, members of this team work collaboratively and are encouraged to support curation and projects of other verticals.
While this role is primarily focused on English and English Pidgin content, working proficiency in one or more of the following languages is an advantage: Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo.
This role is based in Accra, Ghana and focused on Nigeria. You may need to work weekends.
- Identifying the best Twitter content related to local news and/or global conversations
- Effective verbal and written communication. Can present to broader team on specific projects
- A basic understanding of "content quality" and the data and Curation Standards by which we might judge and measure that within a product surface
- Is able to prioritize work effectively, under deadline
- Is capable of, and receptive to, giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Curate live updates around various topics and events across civic integrity, local news, misinformation, entertainment and sports for Twitter customers
- Weave together stories from sequences of Tweets
- Identify events and emerging trends on Twitter that will drive unique content experiences
- Work cross-collaboratively with teammates and internal stakeholders to create strategies for key events in West Africa time zone
- Strong real-time news judgment: Able to provide timely and accurate coverage of the most impactful conversations on the platform.
- Excellent editing skills. Can quickly identify ways to improve copy and effectively communicate changes while working with others in the team.
- Use Twitter and very familiar with the product
- Experience in online content moderation
- Excellent understanding of the Nigerian political system
- Deadline-oriented and thrives in fast-paced, changing environments
- Fluency and ability to read and write in English and Pidgin English
Nice to haves:
- An interest in Machine Learning and Human-in-the-Loop technology
- Multilingual in additional Nigerian languages like Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa
- Experience or aptitude for news gathering tools like Tweetdeck, Dataminr for News preferred but not required.
- Experience with JIRA