About the Business Development Manager Role
The current food system contributes to roughly a quarter of greenhouse gas emissions and is ill-equipped to meet rising global food demand in a socially and environmentally sustainable way. At the same time, small-holder farmers, who produce most of the world’s food, are often amongst the world’s poorest people and most vulnerable to the effects of climate change. We are working to change this.
ignitia has developed the world’s first and most accurate tropical weather forecasting model to benefit both small-scale farmers and agribusinesses. By providing hyper-local, highly accurate climate and weather information services, farmers can make improved decisions that directly impact yield and productivity. We are a high-tech social enterprise that leverages advanced technologies to provide a unique and valuable means for farmers and organizations in emerging markets to stabilize operations, mitigate risks, and maximize profits.
When you’re part of the team at ignitia, you’ll be tackling the impact of climate change by transforming how farmers in the tropics leverage the weather to improve yields. You’ll do important work, and you’ll be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
ignitia is a low-ego, high-energy environment. We don’t have many layers and we are not into red tape or office politics. We have some of the best minds in meteorology, math and technology working alongside a powerful commercial sales team to change how weather impacts the lives of farmers.
HOW WILL YOU MAKE AN IMPACT?
Ignitia is successfully providing weather forecasting services through a robust portfolio of programs in Ghana, Nigeria, Mali, Côte d’Ivoire, and Burkina Faso. In addition to reaching farmers directly through the region’s largest mobile network operators (MNOs) including MTN, Airtel, and Orange, we’re also a service provider to development organizations such as GIZ and Mercy Corps. The team is currently seeking a dedicated business development professional to build upon the existing portfolio of projects and support the development of new business opportunities in the region.
The Business Development (BD) Manager will play a key role in ignitia’s strategy to scale beyond our current 1.3 million farmer customers in West Africa. The BD Manager will work closely with the CEO, COO, Head of Supply Chain Development and implementation teams. S/he will be a dynamic participant in all aspects of business development, gaining exposure to the agtech startup, climate smart agriculture, and economic development ecosystems in West Africa and other expansion regions. S/he will:
- Execute all aspects of proposal development, including coordinating complex efforts with dispersed team members, drafting and editing technical proposals, drafting staffing and management sections, developing and customizing past performance references, and strengthening candidate CVs. This includes proposal inputs as a subcontractor to large implementing organizations.
- Maintain a pipeline of relevant and winnable opportunities based on donor forecasts and intelligence gathering efforts, this includes conducting a competitive landscape analysis for priority bids, and maintaining a database of prime partners and co-funders to assemble winning proposals and effective delivery teams.
- Write short proposals, or concept notes, and develop budgets for non-competitive and co-designed opportunities.
- Lead research and analytical efforts to create evidence-based program design, including conducting industry strategic scans and drafting illustrative business models and farmer P&L statements across a variety of value chains.
- Research funders and partners in support of the capture process and conduct desk and field research as required to support program development and donor intelligence efforts.
- Recruit consultants to support implementation teams and proposal development (eg technical writers).
- Support knowledge management by synthesizing project evidence, success stories, and third party research in qualification statements for applicable value chains, sectors, and based on country portfolios.
- Promoting best practices and learnings throughout the company by tracking win rates, capture ratios, and other trends and success factors.
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, economics, business, technology, or other related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of three years of work experience in analytical and strategic roles within the private sector and/or development sectors.
- Prior experience working in emerging markets. Work experience in West Africa a plus.
- Must possess strong presentation and writing rhetorical skills. Writing, editing, and proof-reading skills are needed to ensure internal and external documents are clear, concise, persuasive, responsive to partners and donors, and grammatically correct.
- Proven ability to establish strong working relationships and partnerships with public and private sector actors, including international donors and local and international implementing organizations
- Strong focus on results.
- Excellent research and analytical skills, including quantitative analysis skills to calculate ROIs, profit margins, and how farmer income changes as a result of receiving weather forecast services.
- Comfort making well-reasoned assumptions and triangulating data for validation.
- Must be detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills.
- Self-starter with strong time management skills.
- Advanced oral and written proficiency in English. Ability to speak and write in French a strong plus.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.